Wellington Tenths Trust

1257
https://maorilandinfo.co.nz/media/com_jbusinessdirectory/pictures/companies/247/Wellington_Tenths_Trust_1643237005.jpeg
  • Content responsible
Categories:
Māori LandAhu Whenua Trust
  • Details

The origin of the Tenths goes back to the 1839 deed of purchase concluded by William Wakefield on behalf of the New Zealand Company, which promised the chiefs of Wellington that, in addition to retaining their pa sites, kainga, cultivations and mahinga kai: “A portion of the land ceded by them, equal to one-tenth part of the whole, will be reserved by….the New Zealand Company….and held in trust by them for the future benefit of the said chiefs, their families, and their heirs for ever”.

The Wellington Tenths Trust and Palmerston North Maori Reserve Trust have been established since 1839 and 1866 respectively.

The Trusts are known as ‘Sister Trusts’ because they emanate from the same parents, that being the land and waters at Te Whanganui-a-Tara. Both Trusts are comprised of etehi o nga hapu/iwi o Taranaki who are mana whenua at Te Whanganui-a-Tara. This, along with the terms of land exchange that created the Palmerston North Maori Reserves, shows how closely the Trusts are ‘related’ with many owners succeeding to both Trusts. It is important to have an understanding of the ‘whakapapa’ of the Trusts in order to understand the closeness of the relationship they

Type
Maori Land Trusts
Establishment year: 2007
Entity Summary
Legal Name:
Wellington Tenths Trust
MB Reference:
88 OTI 72-104, 90 OTI 36 11/04/1985
Māori land district:
Aotea
Tribal Affiliations:
Te Ātiawa, Taranaki, Ngāti Tama and Ngāti Ruanui
Māori Land Block/s:
North Island Tenths
Māori Land Information